Sri Govindarajaswamy Temple is an ancient Hindhu-vaishnavite temple situated at the heart of the Tirupati city in Chittoor District of Andhra Pradesh state in India. The temple was built during 12 century and was consecrated in the year 1130 AD by Saint Ramanujacharya. The temple is one of the earliest structures in Tirupati and also one of the biggest temple complex in Chittoor district. The Tirupati(down hill) city is built around this temple. The temple at current is being administered by Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanams.
It is believed that during invasion of Govindaraja Perumal Temple in Chidambaram, the Utsava murti(processional deity) was brought to Tirupati for safe keeping. The Utsavamurtis were taken back after the invasions.
Sri Govindarajaswamy Temple was consecrated in the year 1130 AD by saint Ramanujacharya. However, there are structures inside the temple complex which belong to 9th and 10th centuries. Before consecrating Govindarajaswamy as presiding deity, Sri Parthasarathy Swamy was the presiding deity of the temple. Kotturu, a village at the foot of Tirumala hills was shifted to the vicinity of Sri Govindarajaswamy Temple which was later emerged into city of Tirupati.
The temple is dedicated to Lord Vishnu, who is referred to as Govindarajaswamy.The deity will be in reclining yoga nidra posture, facing east, by keeping right hand under his head and left hand straight over his body. Sridevi and Bhudevi the consorts of Vishnu will be in sitting posture at the foot of Govindaraja. Before Govindaraja shrine consecration Sri Parthasarathi Swamy was the primary deity of the temple.
The temple is one of the huge temple complexes in Andhra Pradesh. A 50 m high, seven storied Rajagopuram was constructed on east entrance of the temple by Matla Anantaraja, a local chieftain. This structure has Ramayana scenes and portrait of Matla Anantaraja and his three wives carved onto the passage walls. Towards the west of Rajagopuram, there are two enclosures of the temple, arranged one behind the other. The outer enclosure hosts sub shrines of Pundarikavalli and Alvars. The inner enclosure hosts the main shrine of Govindaraja along with shrines of Krishna with his consorts, Andal. Towards south west corner of the inner enclosure, there is a shrine dedicated to Kalyana Venkateswara which had a mandapa with finely finished colonettes on the outerpiers and with central space lined with yalis projecting inwards. The pavilion in the middle had columns of grey green granite and wooden roof.
The temple at present is being administered by Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanams.
Sri Govindarajaswamy temple is a huge complex with many other sub shrines in it. Parthasarathy temple, Kalyana Venkateswara Temple are of more importance among the sub-shrines. There are also shrines dedicated to Pundarikavalli, Andal, Chakratalwar, Alvars, Lakshmi Narayana Swamy, Anjaneya, Tirumala Nambi, Bhashyakars. Parthasarathy Shrine.