Nallur Kandaswamy Kovil (Tamil: நல்லூர் கந்தசுவாமி கோவில் Sinhala: නල්ලුරුව ස්කන්ධ කුමාර කෝවිල) is a noteworthy Hindu sanctuary, situated in Nallur, Northern Territory, Sri Lanka. The directing god is Ruler Murugan or Katharagama Deviyo as the sacred ‘Vel’ in the Sanctum, the essential holy place, and in different structures, in particular, Shanmugar, Muthukumaraswami, Valli Kaanthar with associates Valli and Deivayanai, and Thandayuthapani, sans partners in auxiliary hallowed places in the sanctuary.
Starting points – The previous holy places of Kandaswamy in Nallur
The first, Kandaswamy Sanctuary was established in 948 AD. As per the Yalpana Vaipava Malai, the sanctuary was created at the site in the thirteenth century by Buwanika Bahu, a priest to the Ruler of Kotte. Sapumal Kumaraya (otherwise called Chempaha Perumal in Tamil), who governed the Jaffna realm for the benefit of the Kotte realm is credited with building the third Nallur Kandaswamy sanctuary. Nallur filled in as the capital of the Jaffna rulers, with the illustrious castle arranged near the sanctuary. Nallur was worked with four passageways with doors. There were two principle roadways and four sanctuaries at the four doors.
The present modified sanctuary that exist currently don’t coordinate their unique areas which rather are involved by houses of worship raised by the Portuguese. The focal point of the city was Muthirai Santhai (commercial center) and was encircled by a square fortress around it. There were elegant structures for the rulers, Brahmin ministers, troopers and other specialist co-ops. The old Kandaswamy sanctuary worked as a cautious fortress with high dividers. When all is said in done, the city was spread out like the conventional sanctuary town as per Hindu customs. Cankilian Thoppu, the exterior of the royal residence of Ruler Cankili II, can even now be found in Nallur. The third sanctuary was devastated by the Portuguese Catholic provincial Filipe de Oliveira in 1624 Advertisement. The first kovil was found where St. James’ Congregation, Nallur is found today. Some portion of the first Shivalingam of the Nallur Kandaswamy Sanctuary was situated in the Vicarage till 1995 when it was crushed during the recover of Jaffna by Sri Lanka military and the stage where the shivalingam was mounted on can at present be found in the corridor of the vicarage.
The fourth and the current sanctuary was developed in 1734 A.D. during the benevolent Dutch pioneer period by ‘Wear Juan’ Ragunatha Maapaana Mudaliyar, who filled in as a Shroff in the Dutch Katchery, in a spot recognized then as the ‘Kurukkal Valavu. Krishnaiyar a Brahmin, filled in as the main cleric of the sanctuary.
At first the sanctuary was fabricated utilizing blocks and stones and had a cadjan rooftop, revering a ‘Vel’ in the center. The first place of worship had just two little corridors.
Ragunatha Maapaana Mudaliyar’s relatives kept on overseeing the sanctuary as Caretakers of the sanctuary over the previous hundreds of years and to date numerous increases have been made to carry the sanctuary to its current Wonder.
The beginning of the ‘Brilliant Period’ in the historical backdrop of Nallur Sanctuary is recorded as post 1890, not long after the assuming control over the sanctuary organization by Arumuga Maapaana Mudaliyar, the seventh Overseer. The principal Chime tower was raised by him in 1899 and he made numerous enhancements to the sanctuary including the fundamental Sanctum, redesigning it utilizing stone to clear the floor of the Sanctum in 1902. The main encasing divider was raised in 1909 by him. Moreover, the sanctuary has been step by step remodeled now and again by his replacements to date. After the year 1964, the year the present and the tenth Caretaker, Kumaradas Maapaana Mudaliyar took over office, broad upgrades have been made to date, for all intents and purposes modifying the whole intricate and making it truly the biggest Hindu Sanctuary Complex in the nation. The custom of yearly ‘Thiruppani’, presented by him, has seen the sanctuary developing into its current wonder. Today the sanctuary has four Gopurams and six Ringer Towers, alongside its strengthened dividers, giving it an appearance of a fortress in Nallur.
The sanctuary has the fundamental passageway confronting the east. It has a luxuriously cut five-story tower or gopuram in the Dravidian engineering style at the principle entrance.
In the encompassing inward veethy or circumbulatory way, it has holy places for Masters Ganesh, Palliyarai, Sandana Gopalar, Goddess Gajavalli Mahavalli, Vairavar and Sooriyan with Consorts, and Vairavar.
In the southern piece of this sanctuary, the blessed lake and Thandayudhapaani holy place can be seen. In the northern side, one finds the ‘Poonthottam’ the heavenly nursery.
The sanctuary is a socially significant foundation for the Sri Lankan Tamils Hindu personality of north Sri Lanka. In the Sri Lankan Tamil diaspora, numerous sanctuaries have been worked in Europe and North America utilizing a similar name as a social memory. On account of its Organization and exacting decipline respected and worshipped by the fans, Nallur Kovil is the exemplification of reliability, request and tidiness, and gives a model to all Saiva sanctuaries. Over all it is the way where strict services are led with such faultless planning and exacting order that makes it a most loved among fans.
New Maha Raja Gopuram Augmentations
On 21 August 2011 the sanctuary uncovered its new Nine story Raja Gopuram, Named ‘Shanmuha Raja Gopuram’ with a passage called ‘ Swarna Vaasal’ ( The Brilliant Passageway ) at 7:00am nearby time.
Another New Raja Gopuram was revealed on 4 September 2015 at 07 a.m. neighborhood time, making another Northern access to the sanctuary complex. It is known as ‘Gubera Raja Gopuram’, and the passageway named ‘Kubera Vaasal’. This pinnacle, somewhat over forces the Southern pinnacle and to date recorded as the greatest Gopuram in the Island. ‘Guberan’ is the god for riches and he secures the Northern heading. It is accepted by the neighborhood individuals that this Gopuram will draw in more riches to the individuals of Jaffna landmass.
The sanctuary has the yearly celebration which starts with the raising of the Heavenly banner – the Kodiyetram. The fabric for lifting is formally brought to the sanctuary in a little chariot from a family having a place with the Sengunthar Kaikola Mudaliyar tradition, for a considerable length of time.
The celebration is spread over a time of twenty five days during which different Yāgams Abishekams and exceptional poojas are led. The significant strict celebrations individuals rush to witness are the Manjam, Thirukkarthikai, Kailasavahanam, Velvimanam, Thandayuthepani it’s an am, Sapparam, Ther celebration parade, Theertham – the water cutting celebration, and Thirukalyanam – The heavenly wedding. The Ther Thiruvila (chariot celebration) is the most well known of all occasions is vivid and initiates at 6.15 am . The spectacularly dressed Ruler Shanmuhar and his consorts are completed on a Silver Seat called ‘Simmasanam’, an intricatetly cut artful culmination made by the seventh Caretaker, Arumuga Maapaana Mudaliyar in the year 1900. Several aficionados conveying it on their shoulders, and the Simmasanam which skims on the heads of thousands of lovers yelling ‘Aro hara’ is a sight not to be missed.
The tremendous and overwhelming chariot conveying the sculpture of God Shanmuhar and consorts is strutted along the boulevards of the Sanctuary. The chariot pulled by a rope of thousands of aficionados, rich and poor, old and youthful stand side by side in pulling it allowing God Murugan the chance to observe the earnestness and virtue of the devotees.